Issues Addressed by PGG
Peterson Geotechnical Group was founded in 2006 by Curt Peterson, PE. Since that time, we have grown steadily and become a leader in the geotechnical consulting community in Arizona and throughout the Southwest, taking on more projects and delivering results year after year. We have remained focused on meeting our clients' deadlines, and providing them with the best consultation and opinions, no matter how big or small the job.
The educational backgrounds of our project managers include bachelor's and master's degrees in civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, geology, and construction management. Licenses held by our staff include:
Professional Engineer - Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, and Utah
Bachelor of Science - Civil Engineering, Brigham Young University
Master of Science - Geotechnical Engineering, Brigham Young University
Professional Registrations & Affiliations
Registered Professional Engineer, Arizona, PE 39513
Registered Professional Engineer, Arkansas, PE 16811
Registered Professional Engineer, Colorado, PE 44615
Registered Professional Engineer, Nevada, PE 023603
Registered Professional Engineer, New Mexico, PE 20082
Registered Professional Engineer, Utah, PE 362273-2202
Registered Professional Engineer, Texas, PE 129729
Associate Member, Post Tensioning Institute
Member, American Society of Civil Engineers
National Golden Key Honor Society
International Association of Foundation Drilling
Mr. Peterson has over twenty years of experience in the field of Civil Engineering that includes designing, drafting, and surveying subdivisions, roadways, utility lines, and commercial and retail site improvements. Mr. Peterson began his career with the Town Engineer for Elk Ridge and Woodland Hills, Utah while he was an undergraduate. While there, he reviewed plans and performed engineering inspections for proposed developments within each community. After graduating from BYU, Mr. Peterson moved to the Phoenix area and began working as a Geotechnical Engineer. In this capacity, Mr. Peterson's experience includes: public works project such as airports, pipelines, roadways, bridges, educational facilities, sewer lift stations, and pump stations; private developments including hospitals, commercial buildings, retail buildings, parking lots, and power plants; and forensic projects including custom homes, numerous residential subdivisions, hospitals, commercial and retail buildings, sewer lift stations, parking lots, roadways and utility lines.
Mr. Peterson founded Peterson Geotechnical Group in the late summer of 2006, and has worked to steadily increase the scope of services and size of the practice since then. As Principal Engineer for Peterson Geotechnical Group, Mr. Peterson's experience includes coordinating geotechnical and forensic investigations, overseeing and monitoring field testing activities, providing, conducting and overseeing laboratory testing, performing geotechnical calculations, writing and reviewing reports, and providing expert services including deposition and trial testimony and mediation attendance on construction defect lawsuits.
Mr. Peterson's relevant experience includes the following:
- Water tanks including the Panda Gila River two million-gallon storage tank and the Saguaro Acres water tank.
- Slope stability analysis and repair recommendations for State Route 191 between Clifton and Morenci, Arizona.
- Geotechnical engineering evaluations and recommendations for proposed Walmarts and CVS pharmacies.
- Geotechnical engineering evaluation for the Cox Communications Main Facility in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Liquefaction, dynamic settlement, and lateral spreading analysis on the Cherry Hills Interchange in Farmington, Utah and for the Salt Palace Convention Center expansion in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Dam safety evaluation on the City of Phoenix Dam No. 3.
- Constructability evaluations for numerous sewer and water lines throughout Arizona.
- Geotechnical engineering evaluations and recommendations for proposed pedestrian bridges along the US60 freeway and the 202 San Tan freeway.
- Geotechnical engineering evaluations and recommendations for bridges including Walnut Canyon Eastbound
- Bridge in Coconino County, Arizona and the Pantano Railroad Underpass in Tucson, Arizona.
- Performed pavement design and subgrade analysis on numerous projects across Arizona.
- Power plant projects including the Gila River Project in Gila Bend, Arizona and the Redhawk Power Plant in Wintersburg, Arizona.
- Government buildings including the Arizona Department of Transportation maintenance building in Kingman, Arizona and commercial buildings including the Gate Gourmet warehouse in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Numerous forensic geotechnical evaluations for various residential and commercial structures throughout Arizona, including Yuma, Somerton, Parker, Bullhead City, Fort Mohave, Lake Havasu, Kingman, Show Low, Jerome, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Cottonwood, Flagstaff, Winslow, Show Low, Lakeside, Sierra Vista, Roosevelt, Phoenix metro, and Tucson.
- Designing and overseeing forensic geotechnical repairs for numerous commercial and residential structures including injection grouting, deep foundations (helical and push piers), structural and non-structural cut-off walls, French drainage systems, drainage improvements, etc.
- Numerous moisture Intrusion evaluations throughout Arizona in order to determine source(s) of moisture contributing to microbial growth, soil movement, efflorescence, perched groundwater conditions, etc.
- Soil densification using compaction grouting at the Sun Village Condominiums in Surprise, Arizona, at the Northern Trust Bank in Scottsdale, Arizona, the Lincoln Towne Centre in Scottsdale, Cornerstone Building in Tempe, Tuscany Ridge Apartments in Glendale, Arizona and various other residential homes.
- Soil corrosion analysis relating to chlorides and sulfates at various projects in Arizona.
Senior Project Engineer
Bachelor of Science - Geology, Calvin College, 2001
Master of Science - Civil Engineering (geotechnical emphasis), South Dakota School of Mines & Technology, 2005
Professional Registrations & Affiliations
Registered Professional Engineer, Arizona, PE 46834
Registered Professional Engineer, Colorado, PE 44662
Registered Professional Engineer, New Mexico, PE 19810
Registered Professional Engineer, Texas, PE 105469
Member - American Society of Civil Engineers
Mr. Peltzer has over fifteen years of experience in the field of Civil Engineering. He began his career in Grand Rapids, Michigan, performing geotechnical subsurface explorations for the design of multi-home subdivisions, custom homes, utility lines, roadways, bridge foundations, guyed television and cellular communication towers, power plant improvements, and commercial and retail site improvements. While in graduate school, Mr. Peltzer worked with the South Dakota Department of Transportation in Rapid City, South Dakota, reviewing plans and performing engineering inspections during construction of mechanically stabilized earth walls, bridge foundations, abutments, and decks, as well as drainage culverts and roadway subgrade.
Mr. Peltzer joined Peterson Geotechnical Group in the summer of 2007. As a Senior Project Engineer with Peterson Geotechnical Group, Mr. Peltzer has managed projects that involve the forensic geotechnical evaluation of:
- Mass action lawsuits involving multiple residential homes in mass graded subdivisions and custom homes and custom home subdivisions.
- Customer service and lawsuits involving commercial and retail shopping centers and below-grade parking structures.
- Underground utility line and roadway subgrade failures.
- Surety evaluations for public works project such as pipelines and roadway improvements.
Mr. Peltzer's involvement in these projects has included coordinating geotechnical and forensic investigations, performing, overseeing, and monitoring field testing activities, overseeing and reviewing laboratory testing, performing geotechnical calculations, as well as writing, reviewing, and sealing reports which convey professional opinions and recommendations. Mr. Peltzer has also attended mediations and provided expert witness testimony before the Arizona Registrar of Contractors
- Forensic geotechnical evaluations for numerous residential and commercial structures throughout Arizona, including Yuma, Bullhead City, Fort Mohave, Lake Havasu, Kingman, Show Low, Prescott Valley, Flagstaff, Benson, Holbrook, Phoenix-Metro, and Tucson. Managed the geotechnical evaluation for the respondents in one of the largest (in terms of dollar value) residential construction defect cases filed in Arizona.
- Design and oversight of geotechnical repairs for commercial and residential structures including injection grouting, helical pile, push pier, and micro-pile installation, and structural and non-structural cut-off walls, French drainage systems, and surface drainage improvements.
- Review and analysis of helical pile design for the collector arrays of a 280 megawatt solar plant outside of Gila Bend.
- Numerous moisture intrusion evaluations throughout Arizona in order to determine source(s) of moisture contributing to microbial growth, soil movement, efflorescence, and perched groundwater conditions.
- Oversight, coordination, and logging of over 400 soil borings to characterize and evaluate the subsurface conditions of a proposed borrow pit to be reclaimed as wetlands in conjunction with state roadway development in eastern Michigan.
Bachelor of Science - Construction Management, Arizona State University, 2001
Grouting Fundamentals & Current Practice - Colorado School of Mines
Mr. Rowley has over fourteen years experience in the construction industry. He worked in the residential new construction market until 2008 prior to joining PGG and began working in forensic consulting. His project management responsibilities include observation and documentation of site conditions for forensic investigations, borehole logging, document analysis, and assistance with the development of geotechnical repair recommendations and oversight of those repairs.
While at PGG, Mr. Rowley has worked on both residential and commercial projects throughout the state of Arizona that were repaired using injection grouting, helical piles, push piles, micro-piles, cutoff walls, and surface drainage improvements.